(On-call position for Academic 2023-2024)
Since 1852, under the direction of the Basilian Fathers, St. Michael’s College School has been educating young men in goodness, discipline, and knowledge for lives of leadership and service, and forming them in faith to present the face of Jesus Christ to a world that is in need of his grace and his peace.
We are Canada’s only Catholic, Basilian, faith-based independent school. We educate young men from Grades 7 to 12 in a university-preparatory programme. Our scholastic environment for all boys is well designed and suited to their particular strengths, aptitudes, and needs. It provides a unique learning and growing experience during which a boy develops the framework of his character and builds the foundation for his life as a man.
In graduating young men who change the world through lives of faith, character, and service, St. Michael’s College School brings integrity, unity, and healing to a fractured and uncertain world.
Whatever the role at St. Michael’s College School, it is more than a job – it is joining a community of likeminded colleagues who embrace the school’s values and deliver those values in everything they do.
Reporting to the Vice Principal while working closely with the Guest Teacher Coordinator and communicating with the classroom teacher, the Guest Teacher provides classroom coverage for absent teachers. Guest Teachers are part of the team that fosters a Catholic approach to student learning that is consistent with the mission of Basilian education by supporting the students’ spiritual, academic, emotional, and social growth.
Start Date: Ongoing; this will be a position needed throughout the year
Reports to: Vice Principal
Position: On-call; Monday to Friday during Academic year
Hours of Work: 7:45 a.m. to end of school day
|OCT Qualified Teacher:
|Non-OCT qualified Teacher:
$250 per day
OTPP employee and employer contributions are matched
$225 per day
- Must be flexible and available, as they may be called upon at 6 a.m. of their required workday, and are expected to arrive at the school at 7:45 a.m. When possible, the Guest Teacher Coordinator will arrange coverage in advance.
- Applying excellent classroom management skills and facilitating lesson plans provided by classroom teacher.
- Being responsive and considerate of student, faculty, and school needs.
- Ethical consideration and a consistent display of integrity in all duties.
- Demonstrating an understanding and commitment to delivering a Basilian, Catholic, Liberal Arts education, to boys in Grades 7-12.
What you bring to this role:
- Member in Good Standing with the Ontario College of Teachers, with a Ministry Qualification at the Intermediate/Senior level, preferred
- Working knowledge of the Ontario curriculum
- Ability to foster a caring and professional rapport with students
- Reliability and availability to work
- Ability to work well with SMCS faculty and staff
- Professional dress and attitude
- Exceptional organization and communication skills
- Experience working in an independent school setting is an asset
- Interest in volunteering with co-curricular activities is also an asset
How to Apply:
Interested applicants should forward a cover letter, OCT Member info page, and resume in one document by email to email@example.com indicating ‘Guest Teacher’ in the subject line.
We thank all candidates in advance. We will, however, contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls or agencies, please.
To work at St. Michael’s College School, all employees must provide a Police Vulnerable Sector check.
St. Michael’s College School will provide reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
The Leader in Catholic Boys’ Education