Store Manager and Buyer
Since 1852, under the direction of the Basilian Fathers, St. Michael’s College School has been educating young men in goodness, discipline, and knowledge for lives of leadership and service, and forming them in faith to present the face of Jesus Christ to a world that needs his grace and his peace.
We are Canada’s only Catholic, Basilian, faith-based independent school. We educate young men from Grades 7 to 12 in a university-preparatory programme. Our scholastic environment for all boys is well designed and suited to their strengths, aptitudes, and needs. It provides a unique learning and growing experience during which a boy develops the framework of his character and builds the foundation for his life as a man.
In graduating young men who change the world through lives of faith, character, and service, St. Michael’s College School brings integrity, unity, and healing to a fractured and uncertain world.
St. Michael’s College School is seeking an organized, skilled, and self-motivated individual to perform the role of a Store Manager and Buyer. The position is responsible for the day-to-day operations and sales of the school store. The manager of the Mporium also acts as the buyer, who purchases all apparel and custom products for the store as well as co-curricular teams and clubs.
Mporium Store Operations:
- Greeting and responding to customer requests and requirements
- Daily operations of the school store, including opening and closing procedures, receiving shipments, pricing, tagging, and displaying products
- Daily cash deposits, invoices, and sales targets
- Inventory control, including daily checks and monthly store inventory counts
- Coordinating volunteers: recruiting, scheduling, and training
- Purchasing for Mporium – apparel design, replenish stock, maintain desired stock levels
- Coordinate custom orders including graduation rings, camp supplies, custom apparel
- Coordinate and attend school events to promote Mporium products during non-business hours (occasional)
- Keeping online store updated, coordinating with Communications Department to keep updated merchandise on E-Store
- Content Development: Providing social media posts and newsletter content to Communications Department
- Coordinate Mporium advertisements with the Communications Department
- Purchasing and designing products and apparel for school sports teams and clubs
- Sourcing, building, and maintaining supplier relationships, determining best price options for different projects by getting quotes from alternate suppliers, negotiating prices/discounts and terms of delivery
- Annual budgets, monthly sales targets, daily cash deposits
- Maintaining reports; turnover report, merchandise forecasting, annual buying plan
- Monitor the store’s sales data closely and analyze the findings
What you bring to this role:
- Educational requirements: Minimum community college diploma in business or fashion business
- Minimum of 1-2 years of experience working in a retail environment, preferably in a managerial role
- Exceptional customer services skills
- Strong negotiation and communication skills to work with a broad range of internal and external constituents including faculty, staff, students, alumni, parents, and friends of the school, and an ability to handle confidential information
- Strong MS Excel skills (including Vlookups, functions/formulas, sorting, and filtering) and Microsoft Office skills
- Experience with retail and e-commerce sales platforms (experience with LightSpeed is considered an asset)
- Exceptional organizational skills to deliver on multiple projects with tight timelines
- Ability to delegate tasks to store volunteers
- Demonstrated ability to think creatively about new products, current product design and merchandise/product displays, with an interest in the youth market
- Ability to work collaboratively with various school departments (such as finance, admissions, communications, and athletics)
- A desire to learn and develop professionally
Performance Competencies & Criteria
- Maintain a professional image
- Efficient organization to ensure all tasks are completed in an efficient and timely manner
- Responsive and considerate of internal and external client needs
- Ethical consideration and a consistent display of integrity in all duties
- Ensure the confidentiality and security of all files
- An understanding and commitment to the delivery of a Liberal Arts, Catholic education
Start Date: Mid-December, 2022
Reports to: Accounting Manager
Supervises: Store Volunteers
Hours of Employment: Based on a 35-hour work week
Rate of Pay: Salary is commensurate with experience. Remuneration includes a comprehensive benefit package and a company-defined contribution pension programme.
How to apply:
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org indicating ‘Store Manager and Buyer’ in the subject line.
The deadline to apply is ongoing until this position is filled.
We thank all candidates in advance. However, we will contact only those selected for an interview. No phone calls or agencies, please.
To work at St. Michael’s College School, all employees must provide a Police Vulnerable Sector Screening check and be fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
St. Michael’s College School will provide reasonable accommodation for qualified individuals with disabilities in the job application process. Applicants are required to make their needs known in advance.
More information about working at St. Michael’s College School:
Tour of St. Michael’s College School:
Explore a virtual 3D tour of the school.
School Life and Direction:
SMCS Strategic Direction 2020-2024
The Leader in Catholic Boys’ Education